Thakur Roshan Singh Punyatithi: Today, on December 19th, 2023, we commemorate Balidan Diwas, a day to honor the sacrifice of Indian freedom fighters. Among those we remember is the fearless Thakur Roshan Singh, a young revolutionary whose unwavering dedication to India’s independence continues to inspire generations.
Born in 1892 in Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh, Roshan Singh’s spirit of rebellion burned bright from a young age. Witnessing the injustices of British rule, he joined the Hindustan Republican Association (HRA), a revolutionary group committed to armed struggle for freedom.
Roshan Singh played a pivotal role in the Kakori train robbery of 1925, a daring attempt to fund the HRA’s activities. While the mission ultimately failed, it became a symbol of defiance against British authority. Despite evading capture for two years, Roshan Singh was eventually apprehended and sentenced to death.
On December 19th, 1927, at the tender age of 35, Roshan Singh embraced martyrdom with unflinching courage. His final words, “Inquilab Zindabad!” (Long live the revolution!), resonate even today, echoing the unwavering spirit of India’s freedom struggle.
Remembering Roshan Singh’s Legacy:
- Symbol of sacrifice: Roshan Singh’s execution alongside Ram Prasad Bismil and Ashfaqulla Khan solidified their place as iconic martyrs, reminding us of the immense price paid for India’s freedom.
- Inspiration for resistance: His unwavering commitment to the cause, even in the face of death, continues to inspire countless individuals to fight for justice and equality.
- Call for continued progress: While India achieved independence, Roshan Singh’s legacy reminds us that the fight for a just and equitable society is ongoing.
Ways to honor Roshan Singh’s memory:
- Visit memorials dedicated to him or other freedom fighters.
- Read about his life and contributions to the freedom struggle.
- Share his story on social media to raise awareness.
- Commit to upholding the values of freedom, justice, and equality for which he sacrificed his life.
As we celebrate Balidan Diwas, let us not forget the sacrifices of Thakur Roshan Singh and countless others like him. May their courage and unwavering spirit continue to guide us as we strive to build a better future for India.